Thursday, March 24, 2011

There is no fear in love.

Do exactly what you would do if you felt most secure.
- Meister Eckhart
I'm not sure I can do that?
I don't have the skills.
There are people who are so much more talented than I am.
I just can't.
What if I fail?
What if I make a fool of myself?

How often are our actions dictated by fear, dictated by doubt, dictated by "what if" thinking?  Probably much more that we would like to admit. Fear is a powerful force. Fear of failure. Fear of ridicule. Fear of loneliness. Fear of illness and death. Fear of the unknown. Fear of…there are too many fears to name.  We all have them, those nagging things that whisper in our ears, not loud enough for anyone else to hear, but loud enough to echo through our souls and make us doubt and question.  Living a life guided by fear keeps us from living into the fullness of who God created us to be.

What would you do if you felt truly secure? What would you do if the whisper of fear and uncertainty was replaced with a song of joy and confidence? God did not create us to live a life dictated by fear, but rather a life liberated by love.

I can't tell you how many things I haven't done because I was afraid. How many wonderful opportunities and experiences I've let pass by because I was guided by fear and insecurity rather than trusting in the certainty of God's love to strengthen me.

Take heart, we are not the only ones who have been afraid, not the only ones who have doubted, not the only ones who needed the Holy Spirit to reassure us.  Scripture is full of wonderful words to encourage us along the way, as they have done for countless sinners and saints who have come before us, and through whom God has worked wonders. 

"If God is for us, who can be against us?" (Romans 8: 31b)

"I can do all this through Christ who gives me strength." (Philippians 4:13)

For I am the Lord, your God, who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, do not fear; I will help you. (Isaiah 41:13)

Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the Lord your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. (Deuteronomy 31:6)

For God gave us not a spirit of fearfulness; but of power and love and discipline. (2 Timothy 1:7)

The Lord is my light and my salvation--whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life--of whom shall I be afraid? (Psalm 27:1)

For He Himself has said, "I will never leave you nor forsake you." So we may boldly say: "The LORD is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?"  (Hebrews 13:5-6)

In this holy season, let us go forward in faith, not with a spirit of fear but of confidence.  Let us not listen to the damning whispers of doubt, but rather let us be open to the Spirit's call to courage.  Let not hide in fear, but rather live boldly in God's promise of love for, "There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear." (1 John 4:18a)

So...what would you do if you felt most secure?  


1 comment:

  1. Blackjack Games | Dr. McD
    In blackjack, a player is dealt 제주도 출장마사지 three cards 의정부 출장샵 and 시흥 출장마사지 then the dealer draws a card. 충청북도 출장마사지 The dealer then plays the four cards as if they were in a two 남양주 출장마사지 player game.

    ReplyDelete